Thermal Hydraulics Engineer 4 2021-173-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are looking for qualified candidates to perform the following:
This position is part of the Fuels Engineering organization and reports to the Supervisor, Code Validation and Methods group. The Code Validation and Methods group is responsible for validation of thermal-hydraulic codes/models and supports development of advanced safety analysis methods for analysis of Loss of Coolant Accidents (LOCA) and Transients in the NuScale Small Modular Reactor (SMR) design. The engineers use advanced scaling methods to plan and design thermal-hydraulic experiments and analyze experimental data for code validation and methodology development in accordance with the Evaluation Model Development and Assessment Process (EMDAP) outlined in Regulatory Guide1.203. The experienced thermal-hydraulic engineer is needed in the area of light-water reactor safety analysis with a focus on thermal-thermal-hydraulic experiments, data analysis, phenomenological modeling, code validation and methodology development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Apply thermal-hydraulic concepts to support testing, data analysis, code validation, and methodology development for licensing of the NuScale SMR.
2. Perform thermal-hydraulic analysis using analytical models or system analysis codes ( e.g., RELAP5) to support development of test matrix and other inputs for thermal-hydraulic experiments.
3. Analyze experimental data for validation of thermal-hydraulic system analysis codes such as RELAP5 and develop phenomenological models.
4. Lead development of safety analysis methodologies following the Evaluation Model Development and Assessment process (EMDAP) described in Regulatory Guide 1.203.
5. Perform safety analysis calculations using industry-standard simulation tools such as RELAP5.
6. Lead technical development of licensing technical or topical reports, the safety analysis report, and other licensing documentation; participate in licensing interactions including interface with the government regulator in areas of technical responsibility.
7. Mentor and train other engineers or interns in sound approaches and standards for solving problems in technical areas of expertise.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Is able to create, read, and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
Safety Culture : Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
NOTE: This recruitment is for a hands-on, contract position starting in June 2021 and expected to continue on a near 40 hour/week basis through early February 2022. Initial onboarding and work will be done remotely, with travel to our Corvallis, OR office as needed once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
Education : A minimum of B.S. degree in Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering from a four year accredited college or university isrequired. An M.S. or Ph.D. in Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering is desirable.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience in thermal-hydraulic experiments, data analysis, phenomenological modeling, code validation and safety analysis is required.
- Experience in scaling and distortion analysis of thermal hydraulic test facilities and application of EMDAP for development of safety analysis methodologies is strongly preferred.
- Experience in development of Phenomena Importance Ranking Table (PIRT), scaling and distortion analysis for design, development and analysis of separate effects and integral effects tests is highly desired.
Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.