Project Engineer 2 2023-407-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking a Project Engineer.
The Plutonium Infrastructure Engineering Division of Los Alamos National Laboratory develops, maintains, and applies a diverse set of engineering capabilities to provide innovative engineering solutions that enable the Laboratory's scientific and national security mission. We are responsible for implementing the Conduct of Engineering (COE) program at Los Alamos National Laboratory in direct support of the Associate Laboratory Directorate for Plutonium
Infrastructure (ALDPi) portfolio. The positions are in nuclear and/or non‐nuclear facilities located within the Pajarito corridor of the laboratory. The program elements include processes, standards, training, and qualifications that are generally applicable throughout the life cycle of a facility. They exist to effectively manage risks and satisfy customer requirements in a safe, secure, cost effective, and environmentally responsible manner.
This position will be assigned to the Plutonium Infrastructure Engineering Division. As a Project Engineer you will act as the lead technical representative for engineering activities related to the planning, design, execution, and closeout of projects. You will be expected to lead and manage development of projects with an integrated project team (IPT) that includes both customers, stakeholders, subject matter experts and others. You will manage engineering design efforts for both internal and external engineering design teams; manage design reviews, and assure comments are implemented by facilitating the resolution of comments, and ensure delivery of the design product. For all design efforts, this includes verification of complaint design delivery at each stage (i.e. 30/60/90/100 %).
- For external design execution, this may require management of the contract; coordination of design deliverables; supporting design progress through team meetings; obtaining and aiding in resolving LANL subject matter expert comments.
- For internally produced design, this may include management of design schedule, determining design team staffing needs, managing costs, quality checks, and overall delivery.
- Develop cost estimates with the Engineering Services technical team for project support.
- Manage technical requirements for construction, including coordinating designer‐constructor interface, design changes, submittal reviews, inspection documentation, and request for information (RFI), commissioning, and certificate of occupancy process.
- Work with the integrated project team to assure substantial completion, punch‐list, as built and turnover process is correctly implemented for project closeout; and work with document management representatives to ensure all project documentation is complete and stored in the appropriate repositories.
- Adhere to and enforce the policies, programs, procedures, and practices with the requirements of the LANL Conduct of Engineering program.
- Plan, forecast, and identify necessary engineering resources to support project workload requirements; reviewing project engineering progress against approved schedules and budgets; evaluating changes; and taking corrective action when required.
- Work with the LANL Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) representatives such as building official, fire marshal, electrical safety officer, etc. for identification of requirements, permitting, and issues resolution.
- Resolve field‐initiated questions on engineering, visits jobsite, aide in the resolution of construction related technical issue; resolve a wide range of design and constructability issues in creative ways that adhere to codes and standards; and provide resolutions to a diverse range of complex problems.
- Make recommendations to engineering management on project assignments of key personnel and requests for specialized professional services.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status including disabled veterans and Vietnam era veterans, or other protected status.
HukariAscendent maintains a drug-free workplace.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET‐accredited college or university and a minimum of 3 years of practical work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, and contract language.
- Desktop automation skills required (MS Office Suite).
- Knowledge of project engineering processes and procedures consistent with the duties described above.
- Understanding of engineering work planning, scheduling, and cost estimating.
- Proven ability to conduct independent work requiring judgment in the application of engineering techniques.
- Working knowledge of infrastructure or utility design, codes and standards.
- Fully capable of performing as a subcontract administrator for design subcontracts including preparing statements of work, approving invoices, and coordinating access for non‐LANL personnel.
- Experienced with projects in construction, change management, and engagement with field personnel.
- Understanding of Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS), performance reporting, and variance analysis.
- Knowledge of NQA‐1 quality requirements.
- Engineer in Training Certificate and/or a professional registration as a professional engineer or registered architect.
- Advanced degree in relevant field.
- Experienced in producing designs utilizing AutoCAD tools.
- Experience with developing schedules using tools such as MS Project or Oracle P6.
- Knowledge of DOE O 413.B‐Program and LANL Engineering Standards and Conduct of Engineering principals, policies, procedures, and standards (https://engstandards.lanl.gov/index.shtml).
- Experience in DOE/NNSA nonreactor nuclear facilities and radiological facilities or projects.
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances.