Optical Engineer 2023-093-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking an Optical Engineer to support the design and development of ruggedized optical system for diagnostics applications in radioactive environment. The engineer will be responsible for solving challenging problems through the development and application of optical technologies including visible and infrared thermal imaging, laser illumination etc. The engineer must have demonstrated expertise in optical design along with optical simulation analysis or opto-mechanical design and analysis. The optical engineer must have proficiency in one of the optical design/analysis tools such as Zemax. The engineer will serve in a multidisciplinary team which includes mechanical engineers and physicists. Strong communication skills are required for success in this role.
The STS Target Systems group is responsible for the design, fabrication, installation, and testing of all hardware necessary to convert the incoming 700 kW, 15 Hz proton beam into 22 beams of moderated neutrons. The STS Target Systems group consists of individuals with diverse backgrounds and expertise. ORNL thrives on the premise that diversity is essential, equity is inherent, inclusion is innate, and accessibility is achievable. These principles guide ORNL’s DEIA vision to create a welcoming environment that attracts, supports, and inspires a diverse and engaged workforce; fuels our scientific mission and impact; fosters greater accessibility for diverse communities; and increases the impact of DOE-supported research and development. Learn more at https://diversity.ornl.gov/. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse team of professionals and contribute to groundbreaking research. We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to the success of the project, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds and identities.
Hours/week: 20 hours/week.
Period of Performance: 18 months.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status including disabled veterans and Vietnam era veterans, or other protected status.
HukariAscendent maintains a drug-free workplace.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Opto-Mechanical Engineering, or related Engineering field with a concentration in Optics.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience, or Master’s degree and 3+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the following subjects: optical design, optical analysis, or opto-mechanical design and analysis.
- Proficiency in optical design/analysis tools such as Zemax (preferred).
- Must be detail oriented.
- Demonstrated application of innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Master’s or Doctorate degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Opto-Mechanical Engineering, or related Engineering field with a concentration in Optics.
- Strong understanding and proficiency of Math and Physics.
- Expertise in optical design of multi-element imaging systems.
- Expert knowledge and understanding with Visible, MWIR/LWIR optical materials.
- Expertise in the optical design/analysis tool, such as Zemax.
- Good familiarity with opto-mechanical engineering.
- Experience presenting design/analysis results with effective communication skills.
- Manufacturing experience desired.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain site access clearance (physical and/or electronic systems) from the Department of Energy and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, whether working on-site or remote. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement background check and drug test. Post-placement for WSAP positions potentially require participation in an ongoing random drug testing program, if designated by the requesting organization.