Mechanical Engineer (Fabrication) 2022-548b-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking a Nuclear Fabrication Engineer.
Operating at 85 MW, High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR) is the highest flux reactor-based source of neutrons for research in the United States, and it provides one of the highest steady-state neutron fluxes of any research reactor in the world. The thermal and cold neutrons produced by HFIR are used to study physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, and biology. The Research Reactors Division (RRD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the HFIR.
HFIR is slated for an extended 9-month reactor outage (Beryllium Outage) to begin in 2025 to replace/refurbish critical reactor vessel components to continued reactor operations for another 20 years. The outage preparation activities will take several years with additional staff augmentation.
The augmented staff will be supporting the HFIR Beryllium Reflector Replacement (HBRR) project. Specifically, the individual will be working closely with RRD system engineers and QA and Procurement support staff to oversee and manage engineering procurements of the reactor vessel components and beam tube assemblies for replacement during the planned HFIR Beryllium Outage. This position will report to the RRD Plant Life Extension Manager and interacts with personnel at all levels within the HFIR.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and manages the procurement and fabrication of critical reactor vessel components
- Ensures that fabrication packages meet the requirements of the RRD Fabrication Control, SEP-0240
- Ensures documentation and engineering drawings of fabrication components are completed and placed under RRD Configuration Management, SEP-0100.
- Provides design support and drawing review to enhance component manufacturability.
- Prepares and reviews design specifications to define and determine acceptance criteria for component fabrications
- Monitors and tracks vendor manufacturing plans/progress, identifies issues in a timely manner to system engineers and provides support for issue resolution.
- Works with vendors and appropriate personnel to develop testing and inspection plans.
- In conjunction with QA personnel, visits vendors to witness testing and perform in-process inspections
- In conjunction with QA and system engineers, ensures that nonconformance and deviations are documented and resolved.
- Associates degree in an engineering discipline, with at least 10 years’ experience in the manufacture and testing of complex equipment or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience is required.
- Must have an excellent understanding of machining and fabrication practices (including welding and inspection techniques) coupled with a sound understanding of the design engineering of complex components.
- Experience in operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of CNC lathes, precision OD grinding, forging press, heat treatment furnaces, and automated arc welding machines; calibrated key heat treatment equipment, etc.
- Have hands on experience with relevant codes and standards, such as ASTM, ASME, GD&T tolerance ASME Y14.5, QS9000, ISO14001, etc.
- Have a strong understanding of the HFIR Configuration Management and Fabrication Control processes
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrate good interpersonal skills, and work well as a team member.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.