Materials Engineers (Data Management) 2022-533-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking two Materials Engineers to support the engineering efforts of the Materials and Chemistry Discipline team. This role will work as part of a high functioning team of engineers focused on materials processing, supply chain development and supplier qualification for next generation material and components for sodium cooled fast reactors. You will be responsible for consolidating material property data from a variety of published sources as well as internal testing programs, building material property correlations and material performance models, maintaining the materials database and material design handbook, and qualifying data for use in design and licensing the Natrium reactor.
- Interface with various project teams to provide material selection guidance for TerraPower’s reactor development programs
- Consolidate material property data from a variety of published sources as well as internal testing programs
- Use fundamental materials engineering principles to develop material property correlations and material performance models as input for reactor design and licensing
- Update and maintain a Python-based material database as well as associated design handbooks for Natrium
- Perform Qualification of Existing Data per ASME NQA-1-2015
- Inform materials test programs to validate models of material performance and ensure materials development and testing efforts meet programmatic objectives of the Natrium reactor
Work Location: Remote
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience with a B.S. degree; or an advanced degree with related experience, or equivalent experience. A degree in Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical discipline is desired.
- Experience developing material data correlations, design allowables, or material performance models
- Familiarity with Python, particularly YAML files for data input
- A basic understanding of complex mechanical phenomena (e.g., creep, fatigue, creep fatigue, stress corrosion cracking, and fracture) in high temperature systems
- A solid understanding of metallurgy including fabrication and thermomechanical processing of ferrous (e.g., ferritic-martensitic steels) and nonferrous (e.g., nickel-base) alloys
- Working knowledge of ASME Section III, Div. 5 is desirable but not required
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems
- Strong communication skills desired
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.