Chemical/Nuclear Engineer 2022-252-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking a Chemical or Nuclear Engineer.
The Research Accelerator Division of the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) is seeking an experienced Chemical or Nuclear Engineer to provide process design and system engineering support for a variety of process systems. This position reports to the Target Systems Group leader in the Target and Mechanical Systems section and works closely with members of Accelerator, Instrument, Source Development Engineering and Target Operations.
The team is responsible for performing activities supporting both new designs (e.g., Proton Power Upgrade Project) and modifications to existing Technical Component Utilities systems. We are seeking candidates that possess a strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to also work with system experts effectively at other facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the design process in accordance with Neutron Sciences Operations Procedures Manual.
- Interface with the customer to determine requirements for design, ensure delivered systems meet requirements and troubleshoot problems.
- Identify hazards in process designs and ensure they are mitigated and adequately controlled.
- Lead and participate in design and safety reviews.
- Provide system engineering support to Technical Component Utilities Process systems.
- Direct designers to produce clear, complete and accurate design packages.
- Liaison with suppliers and manufacturing shops and support procurement of equipment and hardware.
- Provide technical assistance in support of continued operational management and maintenance of assigned systems.
- Evaluate system performance, identify operational trends and support corrections to off-normal operations.
- Assist in development of operating procedures.
- Support, direct and perform system testing as required.
- Submit work requests for maintenance, modification, and/or upgrade activities.
- Function as the design authority for assigned systems.
- Develop and maintain the process design basis documents for the system (e.g., P&IDs, PFDs, mechanical drawings, calculations, operating procedures, applicable parts of the documented hazard and accident analyses, vendor submittals).
- Act as the Technical Project Officer (TPO) for procurement of new, replacement or upgraded system equipment.
- Ensure consistency between the design basis and requirements, the system documentation and the physical configuration.
- Ensure configuration of design documents is being managed in compliance with the configuration management system and change control procedures and processes
- Prioritize work and develop budget input for needed activities.
- Prepare project plans and manage designs and equipment procurements within scope, schedule, and budget.
- As appropriate, publish papers or reports, and represent SNS at conferences and/or workshops.
- Some domestic and/or foreign travel may be required to support collaborations or attend conferences or workshops.
- Perform work in accordance with SNS work control procedures and safety guidelines.
- This position operates during typical daytime office hours, but some off-hours and weekend support is required to support the 24/7 operational needs of the SNS.
- Ensure compliance with Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) and QA requirements.
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status including disabled veterans and Vietnam era veterans, or other protected status.
HukariAscendent maintains a drug-free workplace.
Education and Certifications Required: BS, Chemical or Nuclear Engineering
Experience Level Desired (years): 8 years (minimum); 15 years (preferred)
- Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering, nuclear engineering, or related field with 8 or more years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience with the design, specification, development and implementation of process and mechanical piping systems.
- Demonstrated experience with thermodynamics, fluids, heat transfer, materials, system controls and mechanics.
- Demonstrated experience with Chemstation’s ChemCAD process modeling design software.
- Demonstrated experience with installation, testing and troubleshooting process system hardware.
- 15 or more years of relevant experience.
- Experience with reactor and/or non-reactor nuclear facilities design, construction, test and checkout and operations.
- Experience with the following is also desirable:
o Activated, high purity water cooling systems
o Inert gas handling and distribution systems
o Off gas treatment systems
o Process And Facility exhaust systems
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with teams of scientists, engineers, technicians, crafts, and managers.
Clearance Requirements: “Q” clearance preferred but not required
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain site access clearance (physical and/or electronic systems) from the Department of Energy and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, whether working on-site or remote. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement background check and drug test. Post-placement for WSAP positions potentially require participation in an ongoing random drug testing program, if designated by the requesting organization.