Uranium Specialist 2020-379-HAINC-BD
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are looking for a Uranium Specialist to carry out the following:
- Provides technical analysis for DOE Office of Nuclear Energy nuclear fuel assurance programs; proposes program objectives, strategies, and plans. Drafts documents relative to nuclear fuel markets and supply.
- Serves as a recognized authority on the commercial nuclear fuel cycle supporting the NE/DOE interface with the U.S. nuclear energy industry on fuel cycle issues; provides technical support for policy development, oversight and assists in the coordination of fuel cycle activities as a vital part of the domestic nuclear fuel cycle infrastructure.
- Provides technical support to NE’s uranium stewardship programs and assists in the Department-wide coordination of the management of excess uranium inventories with respect to sales or transfers to commercial entities consistent with USEC Privatization Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, and other statutes and DOE policies as appropriate.
- Assists the Federal uranium specialist with the analysis of industry and international policy organizations on the status of the domestic fuel assurance and uranium supply and demand and activities required to maintain currency on the status of the domestic and worldwide enrichment, conversion, and mining industries.
- Provides technical support for uranium enrichment technology transfer activities for commercial and government purposes, including those related to gas centrifuge, advanced laser-based technologies, and gaseous diffusion.
- Provides expert technical advice and counsel to federal staff in the development of new agreements between DOE and private industry.
- Interacts with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff, as directed, on regulatory issues related to deployment of U.S. commercial enrichment capabilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Mastery knowledge of business/trade practices in the nuclear materials industry; the characteristics and use of equipment and products, as well as industrial production methods and processes; of the nuclear industry; the conduct of studies; and the establishment and maintenance of contacts with industry and commerce.
- Mastery of the application of quantitative and/or qualitative methods in: assessing the adequacy of supply of high assay low enriched uranium (LEU) for research and development of advanced reactor concepts and potentially for driver fuel for a versatile test reactor; through closely monitoring developments in the nuclear fuel markets worldwide; assessing the impact of sales or transfers of the DOE’s natural or low-enriched and excess uranium inventories on the domestic uranium mining, conversion or enrichment industries ; assessing the potential monetary value of excess uranium acquired through various programs, e.g., the U .S.-Russia Highly Enriched Uranium Purchase Agreement; and supporting the efficient management and orderly disposition of excess uranium in a manner that returns a fair market value on U.S. Government assets and does not have a material adverse impact to the domestic nuclear fuel industry.
- Expert capability in uranium enrichment processes, and related technology development and nuclear fuel assurance planning activities, widely recognized as authority in the area.
- Expert capability in uranium and nuclear fuel markets, supply and demand, and uranium inventory management.
- Knowledge of nuclear fuel facility operations, maintenance, and economics to evaluate costs of shutdown, decontamination, preservation, and disposition of facilities.
- Knowledge of safety and environmental laws, regulations, and policies applicable to nuclear fuel facilities and materials.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.