Thermal Hydraulics Engineer 4 (Testing and Coding) 2021-178-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are looking for qualified candidates to perform the following:
This position directly supports the Code Development Supervisor within the Testing and Code Development organization. The Thermal-Hydraulic Staff Augmentation engineer is responsible for providing in-depth knowledge and expertise for development of new, cutting edge, simulation tools and methods for steam generator analysis in support of NuScale SMR deployment. This position requires an experienced engineer familiar with RELAP5 or RETRAN, that is proficient in one or more of the following areas: thermal-hydraulic analysis, system stability analysis (density wave oscillations), software validation, thermal-hydraulic testing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supports development, evaluation and validation of state-of-the-art simulation tools and methods for steam generator stability and performance analyses.
2. Participates as test sponsor of new thermal-hydraulic steam generator tests.
3. Develops input models of tests and performs code validation activities.
4. Knows RELAP5 or RETRAN system thermal-hydraulic code structure, numerical solution methods, models and correlations as well as their ranges of applicability.
5. Exercises in-depth knowledge and experience to develop and achieve software development and testing objectives and goals in creative and effective ways.
6. Writes and reviews technical documentation including software quality assurance documents, engineering reports and calculations as needed in the areas of code development and testing.
7. Provides technical and advisory assistance in area of expertise to staff and other departments.
8. Complies with stringent NQA-1, 10 CFR Part 50 Appendix B and 10 CFR Part 21 quality requirements.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Is able to create, read, and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture : Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and ASME NQA-1 is preferred.
Work will be performed remotely with occasional travel to our Corvallis, OR office as needed once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
Education : A minimum of B.S. degree in Mechanical, Nuclear or Chemical Engineering from a four year ABET accredited engineering program. M.S. or Ph.D. is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: thermal-hydraulic analysis, system stability analysis (density wave oscillations), software validation, thermal-hydraulic testing.
- Experience with industry-standard simulation tools such as RELAP5 and RETRAN required.
- Previous code development and validation experience, or thermal-hydraulic test experience, required.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.