System Design Instrumentation & Controls Engineers 2022-542-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking four highly capable and motivated Instrumentation and Controls Engineers. In this role, you will act as I&C Engineer for the Client's advanced nuclear reactor projects, including responsibility for the instrument and control system design, prototype development and testing, plant level system integration and commissioning. Your role will include interfacing with a team of scientists and engineers internal and external to the Client. You will also identify, specify, and integrate custom instrumentation with advanced control systems for next generation advanced nuclear reactor.
- Responsible for coordinating geographically diverse and international design team members to develop supporting design documentation. The design team members include TerraPower employees, subcontracted resources, partner employees, and customers.
- Lead design efforts of I&C and supporting electrical systems (sub-system) from requirements through final design.
- Perform engineering and design evaluations in the application of nuclear codes and standards, licensing requirements, and NRC regulations.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineers in applicable nuclear and non-nuclear related design standards.
- Specify and describe suitability of instrumentation measurement techniques for use in sodium fast reactor and integrated energy storage technologies, including analysis of measurement range, response time, and measurement accuracy.
- Identify and ensure effective application of correct design codes such as IEEE, etc.
- Analyze and apply regulatory criteria and standards to complex Instrumentation and Control system design.
- Develop and review technical design documents, such as System Requirements Documents, System Design Descriptions, Interface Control Documents, Engineering Design Specifications, etc.
- Create and manage drawing packages of system and sub-system designs, including but not limited to control system architecture, control logic and loop diagrams, and instrument installation drawings, etc.
- Generate integrated design package for key systems and sub-systems.
- Provide technical direction and oversight of supplier projects, working with the contract administrator to ensure delivery of data and other deliverables to meet Client requirements, as well as coordination and performance of technical reviews of deliverables.
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry best practices in order to maintain the highest quality of engineering design and proactively identify process change/enhancement opportunities.
- Integrate I&C with work of other disciplines, engineers, scientists, and subject matter experts.
- Interface with and support licensing activities associated with Safety Analysis Reports.
Work Location: Remote
Key Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. or higher in Controls, Electrical, or related discipline from an accredited university and 5+ years direct experience with proven instrumentation and controls systems skills.
- Candidates must have extensive experience in instrumentation and controls development, diagnostics, and a demonstrated ability to design and deliver industrial I&C platforms and report data accordingly.
- Previous experience with nuclear reactor safety systems or nuclear instrumentation systems design desired.
- Familiar with IEEE 379, IEEE 603, IEEE 7-4.3.2 and IEEE 497, desired but not required.
- Familiarity with implementing design control and development in accordance with nuclear power plant quality assurance (e.g. 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, ASME NQA-1).
- Experience designing and operating high-temperature (400°C and higher) processes desired but not required.
- Ability to handle projects that include many competing objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Familiarity with working with and/or developing industrial process flow diagrams (PFD) and piping & instrument diagrams (P&ID) desired but not required.
- Experience with CAD software to deliver design deliverables (e.g. AutoCAD Standard, AutoCAD Electrical, or SolidWorks).
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design team’s effort with minimal direction.
- Ability to work on multiple simultaneous tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, able to communicate openly, and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.