Sr. Licensing/Project Engineer 2022-707-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are looking for Project Engineer with experience in Licensing to support the NuScale project.
Under infrequent supervision, the Senior Licensing/Project Engineer provides senior level licensing support and direction for complex regulatory licensing action requests/submittals while ensuring compliance with nuclear safety and licensing requirements. Based on analysis of applicable technical and regulatory information, the Senior Licensing/Project Engineer develops effective regulatory/licensing strategy, scope, and method of presentation to be reflected in assigned license application documents. Upon approval of recommendation(s) by the Senior Licensing Lead, the Senior Licensing/Project Engineer independently prepares timely and high-quality license application submittals to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Department of Energy (DOE), and/or other regulatory agencies with infrequent or no supervision.
The Senior Licensing/Project Engineer interfaces with the Senior Licensing Lead and cross-disciplinary functional groups within the Company and its subcontractors on assigned activities. The Senior Licensing/Project Engineer also provides licensing support if/as needed to internal engineering and project management resources to address questions on regulatory and licensing topics.
The successful candidate will:
- With infrequent or no supervision, prepare and validate documents/submittals supporting a license application under 10 CFR 50 and/or 10 CFR 52 as assigned by the Senior Licensing Lead.
- Ensure that licensing work products are complete, accurate, and in compliance with: (a) applicable regulatory requirements and guidance and industry codes and standards; and (b) project licensing strategy, procedures, guidance, and commitments.
- Support the resolution of complex issues and processes to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements for assigned activities.
- Provide direction and technical regulatory guidance to cross-functional team members for complex issues to resolve licensing strategy, implementation, or interpretation issues.
- Coordinate and support interface with clients and provide support to clients as directed.
- Support interactions with industry groups (e.g., NEI, EPRI etc.) as directed by the responsible Senior Licensing Lead.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work Location: Remote.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
Education/Certification: A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Mathematics, or Applied Science is required. Advanced degree preferred.
Experience: A minimum of ten years’ (or eight years’ with an advanced degree) licensing experience in the U.S. commercial nuclear industry at nuclear power plants, nuclear reactor suppliers, or nuclear industry architect-engineering firms is required.
Experience must include: (1) demonstrated ability to develop and implement an effective licensing strategy based on applicable Nuclear Regulatory Commission requirements and guidance; (2) preparation of nuclear facility licensing basis documents and license action requests (under 10 CFR 50 and/or 10 CFR 52) for submittal to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for review and approval; and (3) interfacing with Nuclear Regulatory Commission and/or other regulatory agency representatives to communicate and gain alignment on licensing issues. Other nuclear, Navy nuclear, engineering, and legal/regulatory background may be considered.
- Management/Project Management: Proven experience managing/coordinating complex teams across multiple companies and functional disciplines on projects involving nuclear regulatory/licensing submittal preparation.
- Writing Experience: Must demonstrate the ability to write an effective, clear, and justifiable licensing action request/application for submittal to and approval by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. See “Written/Verbal Communication” under “Core Competencies” below. Writing sample requested.
- Industry Requirements: Must be authorized to work in the country where the position is located.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards, and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA): Experience working under the Department of Energy regulatory framework (e.g., NEPA) is a plus.
- Project Management: Working knowledge of project management systems is a plus (e.g., Project Management Professional [PMP] certification).
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Attention to Detail: Demonstrates ability to efficiently and accurately allocate cognitive abilities to focus on a specific task or tasks. Thinks through the details with a critical eye, while minimizing distractions and focusing on what really matters.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Written/Verbal Communication: Demonstrates strong technical writing skills, including the ability to present complex technical subject matter in a way that maximizes understanding and minimizes misinterpretations on the part of the intended audience(s). Edits work for accuracy and clarity, and creates, reads, and interprets complex written information. Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes and tracks personal and project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and maintains focus and professional demeanor in the face of frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability/Accountability: Takes ownership of and consistently follows through on assigned tasks and commitments, and ensures appropriate parties are notified and kept informed if commitments cannot be met due to competing priorities. Responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Develops strong interpersonal networks within the organization, whether working remotely or at other assigned work location.
- Safety Culture: Exhibits attributes and traits consistent with the Company nuclear safety culture policy and expectations, including modeling safe behavior and encouraging a questioning attitude.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel locally using common forms of transportation.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status including disabled veterans and Vietnam era veterans, or other protected status. HukariAscendent maintains a drug-free workplace.