Mechanical System Design Engineers 2022-536-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are seeking two highly capable and motivated Mechanical System Design Engineers (Reactor Systems). The Mechanical System Design Engineer reports to the System Design Manager and is focused on the design of primarily mechanical handling and process systems. In this role, you will act as a mechanical system design engineer for TerraPower’s advanced nuclear reactor projects or other highly technical projects. The successful candidate will integrate and coordinate with engineers working on interfacing systems. The Mechanical System Design Engineer will work as part of a high-performing team of engineers and scientists.
- Design of nuclear and industrial process systems and sub-systems from requirements through final design.
- Coordinate the review of analyses, such as thermal, seismic, structural, pipe stress, heat transfer, and other analyses performed by others and integrate the results into plant design delivery.
- Identify and ensure effective application of correct design codes into the design of plant systems such as ASME, ANS, ASTM, IEEE, NFPA, etc.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineers in applicable nuclear and non-nuclear related design standards.
- Analyze and allocate regulatory criteria and standards to complex mechanical and process system design.
- Support planning efforts and maintain schedule adherence for design activities within a system, as well as their integration with an overall plant design delivery schedule.
- Interface with the design team to create and manage drawing packages of system designs, including but not limited to Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), 3D models, and system interface drawings.
- Interface with design disciplines (such as mechanical, instrumentation and controls, civil, and nuclear) to identify and develop plant design information and specify system design and performance criteria.
- Provide technical direction and oversight of supplier projects, working with the contract administrator to ensure delivery of data and other deliverables, as well as coordination and performance of technical reviews of deliverables.
- Establish and maintain system requirements and specification documents, such as Engineering Design Specifications for major plant equipment.
- Propose and initiate testing programs for plant system qualification, as needed.
- Provide Support and oversight during test execution, evaluation of test results, and reporting of test results.
- Generate design package for systems, sub-systems, and equipment designs including coordination of calculations, design reports, mechanical drawings, and engineering design specifications.
- Develop and review technical design documents, such as System Design Descriptions, Interface Control Documents, Engineering Design Specifications, etc.
- Interface with and support licensing activities associated with Safety Analysis Reports.
- Support design reviews as plant system and subsystem designs are established and refined.
Duration: ~ 6 months.
Work Location: Remote
Key Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. in Mechanical or related discipline from an accredited university and 5+ years direct experience with proven mechanical systems skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the design of complex mechanical systems, structures and equipment.
- Experience in high temperature and multi-discipline integration highly desired.
- Previous experience with nuclear reactors, nuclear handling process systems, or similar high-performance system or equipment design is highly desired.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design team’s effort with minimal direction.
- Ability to handle projects that include many competing objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on simultaneous tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Experience working to quality standards on design activities, such as ASME NQA-1 or ISO 9001.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, able to communicate openly, and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.