Mechanical System Design Engineer 2022-494-HAINC-BD
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are looking for qualified candidates to perform the following:
The ideal candidate would have significant thermal fluid system design experience with a proven ability to design complex systems utilizing appropriate components and related production hardware verification experience. This position is focused on system design, not detailed component design.
- Identify relevant system requirements and interface requirements then prepare appropriate system design documentation such as system design descriptions and control narratives.
- Select components (e.g., valves, heat exchangers), perform basic calculations, and prepare specifications for their detailed design.
- Design piping systems including line sizing and pressure drop calculations.
- Lead the creation of appropriate output documentation such as process flow diagrams, P&IDs, component data sheets and system test request documentation.
- Utilize appropriate regulations, design codes and standards (e.g., ASME) for fluid systems.
- Coordinate with other interfacing disciplines such as electrical engineers, I&C engineers, mechanical equipment designers, and test engineers.
- Prepare and present system design results to internal and external stakeholders.
Work location: Lynchburg, VA
Duration: Starting as soon as possible, and lasting approximately 6 months. There is the possibility of follow-on work scope.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Nuclear or similar discipline) from an ABET-accredited university is required.
- Must possess at least seven (7) years of related work experience.
- Must possess a technical background in engineering design, fluid systems, thermodynamics, and process instrumentation.
- Experience with MatLab, and/or MathCad is required.
- Proficiency with standard Microsoft Office applications is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is required.
- Must possess the ability to self-direct with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Must be a US Citizen with no dual citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) or Department of Defense (DOD) security clearance, whichever is required.
Additional Desired Skillsets:
- Experience with the design and/or operation of thermo-mechanical fluid systems for nuclear applications.
- Experience with fluid system design and modeling software, such as AFT Arrow/Fathom, FlowMaster, or comparable tools.
- Experience with CAD packages, such as SolidWorks or AutoCAD.
- Programming experience with Python, C++, Fortran, Visual Basic, or similar.
- Experience with design verification including interface with component vendors and test engineering organizations.
- System modeling experience in Simulink and exposure to Sysml.
- Familiarity with NRC and/or DOE requirements.
- Knowledge and experience in the application of Systems Engineering principles.
U.S. Citizen with no dual citizenship. Existing clearance is preferred (DOE or DOD).
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.