Civil/Structural 3 - Structural Analysis 2020-064-HAINC-CF
HukariAscendent is a Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned, Small Business specializing in comprehensive engineering and technical support services associated with commercial nuclear power and other Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear activities.
We are looking for Civil/Structural Engineer to perform the following:
Applies technical knowledge, insight, reasoning, and decision making to perform civil structural
analyses of Nuclear Safety-Related and Non-Safety-Related SSCs. Candidates should possess a strong analytical background, and be very proficient in finite element analysis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Uses structural engineering tools and implements appropriate standards to analyze, and review Nuclear Safety-Related and Non-Safety-Related SSCs including structural analyses. This includes linear and nonlinear dynamic structural analyses for buildings of various material types (concrete, steel, etc).
2. Interacts with other disciplines and structural engineering consultants in an effort to allow effective coordination of design activities and resolution of technical problems. Individuals should be interested in acquiring general knowledge of principles and practices of related fields in order to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
3. Develops requirements documents, design specifications, design reports, and studies.
4. Possess strong written and oral communication skills and routinely interacts with contractors and/or regulatory bodies.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
This is a contract assignment with anticipated duration through all of 2020. Work location ideally is Corvallis, but may be remote based on experience with a minimum of 25% of time spent in Corvallis. Will require two weeks of initial orientation period in Corvallis unless candidate has prior experience working at NuScale in a civil/structural engineering capacity. . Priority consideration will be given to previous contractors already familiar with NuScale practices and/or those willing able to work at Corvallis full time.
HukariAscendent offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
Opportunities with HukariAscendent change frequently. For a complete listing of our current openings, please visit our website at https://www.hukari.com.
HukariAscendent is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
• Education: A minimum of a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited school. A registered professional engineer license (P.E.) is strongly preferred.
• Experience: Minimum of 5 years of nuclear/non-nuclear experience as a Structural Design Engineer is required.
Additional experience in the following areas is also required:
• Design and analysis of structures, including concrete and steel, use of design software and finite element method analyses.
• Concrete, steel, and foundation structural design and analysis.
• Working with the following codes: ASCE 43, ASCE 4, ACI 349 & 318, ASCE 7, IBC, and AISC N690, Steel Construction Manual and Seismic Design Manual.
• Use of the following software: ANSYS, SAP2000, plus normal office software. SASSI is preferred.
• Computer programing skills (e.g. Matlab, or Python) is not required, but preferred.
• Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
• Overall Job Knowledge and Performance:In-depth understanding of engineering concepts, principles, theories. Good organizational skills.
• Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
• Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
• Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
• Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
• Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
• Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization, setting expectations and requirements and achieving accountability of supervised personnel. Leads consensus by involving all stakeholders, facilitating their understanding of differences, agreeing on requirements and constraints, and developing the best solution.
• Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
• Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
• The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.